Saturday, February 10, 2007

Prayer for My Husband (from Doorposts.net)


Prayer for My Husband
Definition:
Prayer (as defined in Webster’s 1828 Dictionary of the English Language):
A solemn address to the Supreme Being, consisting of adoration adoration, or an expression
of our sense of God’s glorious perfections, confession of our sins, supplication for
mercy and forgiveness, intercession for blessings on others, and thanksgiving thanksgiving, or an
expression of gratitude to God for his mercies and benefits.

Do I earnestly pray for my husband’s spiritual growth and wisdom as he
leads our family?
"Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints, cease not to give
thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers; that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of
glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: the eyes of your
understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the
glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe,
according to the working of his mighty power." (Ephesians 1:15-19)
"For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be
filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that ye might walk worthy of the
Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened
with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness; giving
thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light."
(Colossians 1:9-12)

Do I pray for my husband in his work, his leadership responsibilities, and his
relationships with others?
"Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you." (1 Samuel
12:23a)
"I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all
men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness
and honesty." (1 Timothy 2:1-2)
Do I pray for a reverent heart and submissive response to my husband?
"Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the
LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass." (Psalm 37:4-5)
"Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart." (Psalm 26:2)
"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in
me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23-24)
"Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness." (Psalm
143:10)

Do I pray for my husband in his relationship with each of our children?
"And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest
I come and smite the earth with a curse." (Malachi 4:6)
"The father of the righteous shall greatly rejoice: and he that begetteth a wise child shall have joy of him. Thy
father and thy mother shall be glad, and she that bare thee shall rejoice. My son, give me thine heart, and let
thine eyes observe my ways." (Proverbs 23:24-26)

Do I pray for my husband when I know he is going through times of testing
and hardship?

"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points
tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may
obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:15-16)
"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be
made known unto God." (Philippians 4:6)
"Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer. . ." (Romans 12:12)
"Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:2)
Do I pray for my husband to be strong in his particular areas of weakness and
temptation?
"The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry." (Psalm 34:15)
"The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of
judgment to be punished." (2 Peter 2:9)
"And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the
glory, for ever, Amen." (Matthew 6:13)

When my husband is in sin or when I believe he is making an unwise
decision, do I humbly entreat him and then earnestly, patiently, and quietly
pray for God to lead him?
"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."
(Jeremiah 33:3)
"The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will."
(Proverbs 21:1)
"I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all
men; for kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and
honesty." (1 Timothy 2:1-2)
"The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace." (Exodus 14:14)
Do I pray for my husband when he has offended me, or do I criticize and
harbor bitterness?
"Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the
door." (James 5:9)
"Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called,
that ye should inherit a blessing." (1 Peter 3:9)
"It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house." (Proverbs 21:9)
"It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman." (Proverbs 21:19)
"And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may
forgive you your trespasses." (Mark 11:25)
These examination questions are an excerpt from
As Unto the Lord
A Tool for Wives Who Want to Glorify God
by Pam Forster

No comments: